Friday, July 17, 2009

Deep Thoughts

Just as love is mysterious and sometimes nonsensical, so were romance comic features on occasion...


Though it may not really have a coherent story line, I really dig the art! I wish I knew who drew this brief feature from Young Romance #198 (March/April 1974)! Little one page illustrated poems such as this seem to pervade the 100-Page Super Spectacular romance books that cropped up just towards the end of the reign of romance comics. There are just so many to share! Until next time...

Have a great Friday night! I have some good Marvel romance stories in store for Sunday!

6 comments:

  1. I don't know for sure, but that ink line looks a lot like the one employed by Bernard Baily, Golden Age great who was most famous for drawing the Spectre in More Fun Comics for many years- and who was doing the odd story (including a Frankenstein backup story in The Phantom Stranger) for DC at about the same time as this appeared.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Johnny B! I think he was doing that "Spawn of Frankenstein" story right? I am going to have to take a closer look at that sometime. Whoever the artist is that did this page did a lot of romance stories in the mid-seventies, especially in the 100 pagers. Baily did do early romance in the fifties, so it is quite possible this is him!

    I am going to be sure to add your blog to my blogroll! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, thanks for the add!

    Baily did the last three chapters of Spawn of Frankenstein, in issues 27-29 of Phantom Stranger. Mike Kaluta originally drew it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Baily too, but this one pager's drawn by the recently-departed Craig Flessel (1912-2008), who mostly worked, in the 70s, with Jack Kirby's old partner Joe Simon on fun creations such as Prez, Champion Sports, Green Team and The Outsiders, mostly as Jerry Grandenetti's inker. Well, that and a bit of DC romance, including the classic "That Strange Girl".

    ReplyDelete
  5. You'll get no argument from me; it does look like Flessel, whom I know more from his inks on Grandenetti than anything else...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Richard! Thanks for the insight! That sure is Flessel! :)

    ReplyDelete

Comic Blog Elite