Monday, September 21, 2009

Fashion Files - The Peter Pan Look

Flipping through the pages of romance comics from 1969 to 1971 yield a plethora of monochromatic green outfits -- usually involving green tights. Fashion statement or perhaps an overabundance of green ink in those years? You decide!!!

Secret Hearts #133 (January 1969)


Girls' Romances #143 (September 1969)
Cover by John Rosenberger


Girls' Romances #138 (January 1969)
Pencils by Vince Colletta


Girls' Love Stories #147 (November 1969)


Falling in Love #108 (July 1969)
Pencils by Wally Wood


Falling in Love #108 (July 1969)
Pencils by John Rosenberger


Young Love #81 (August 1970)


Heart Throbs #130 (February/March 1971)



8 comments:

  1. Just discovered your blog thanks to post at The Groovy Age of Horror and I LOVE it! I'm a big fan of Romance Comics (American and Japanese). I started collecting them in the late 80s but my comic collecting basically came to an end around 2002. You've made me eager to pull out all my old comics and read them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray! Thank you, Kimberly! I am glad you are enjoying Sequential Crush! Have fun looking through your old comics, and if you come across any romance ones that are cool, be sure to let me know!

    I am also digging your two blogs :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The color of envy. Allegedly.

    --Marshall

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perhaps! I wonder if the colorists thought that much about it though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. aw gee, way to tease a guy! Just ONE PANEL of a wally wood story? Come on! Put out! Show us the rest of it!......
    please?

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I can find more of his work, =link, I will try to do an artist spotlight on him eventually. How does that sound?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Girls' Romances #143 is an amazing cover. The characters look like they are out of the Legion of Super-Heroes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sleestak: I just now noticed the guy's rolled up jeans. Crazy!

    ReplyDelete

Comic Blog Elite