Sunday, February 14, 2010

Happy Valentine's Day!!!

Today is the day! Valentine's Day! Since everyday is pretty much Valentine's Day here at Sequential Crush, I thought I would do something a little different than usual.

In a couple issues of Young Romance, readers were encouraged to send in their best recipes for the "Get Your Man Contest," and a chance to win a first prize of $5.00! As the DC romance editors saw it, "Standing in a kitchen whipping up a goodie you can both enjoy is one of the best ways in the world to get to know each other." I couldn't agree more! Cooking together has always been something Justin and I enjoy doing, so we thought it would be fun to make one of the recipes!


We decided on "First-Love Fudge" from Young Romance #188 (November 1972), which tied for first place.


First, we assembled all the ingredients -- milk, sugar, brown sugar, butter, marshmallow creme, and peanut butter. Don't worry, we kept the comic book out of the mixture!


Close up shot: all these things are great on their own (and in moderation), but will they be tasty mixed together? Two whole pounds of brown sugar is a lot!


As indicated by romance comic book fan Helen Chambers of Scarborough, Maine, we mixed the first four ingredients together.


My arm was getting tired stirring. I thought the mixture would never blend together.


Eventually it did though, and we added in the marshmallow creme and peanut butter and I continued to stir. We then put it in a pan and let it cool overnight in the fridge, so it would firm up into a fudge consistency.


Tah-dah! The finished "First-Love Fudge!"
It even looks like it came from the '70s!


The Outcome:

We had high hopes for this recipe. It won first place in a DC comic book, after all! So, I am sad to say that after one bite we both set the fudge down politely before having to say, "YUCK" and vowing never to eat sugar again. I am guessing that the editorial staff at DC never even tried the recipes before picking a winner!!! Sorry, Helen -- your "First-Love Fudge" just didn't do it for our modern palates! Our dog Sgt. Furry seemed pretty interested in it, however!

Oh well. We tried! If you are going to attempt anything from the "Get Your Man Contest," I suggest the "Kiss-and-Tell Dessert" -- that seems pretty safe and unlikely to require a trip to the dentist after consuming it!



Valentine's Day just wouldn't be complete without a little romance story, would it?! Surprisingly, there aren't a whole lot of stories in the romance comics that have to do with Valentine's Day. A little too obvious, I suppose!

Here is one of the few, "Remember Your Valentine" from Young Love #112 (November 1974) with art by the very romantic Winslow Mortimer.


Happy Valentine's Day!!!

12 comments:

  1. Jacque: What an incredibly sweet post. Hey, anything that has two pounds of sugar and peanut butter in it, count me in! Too bad that smooch by Mortimer wasn't in the kissing contest. What it lacks in heat it more than makes up for in gentle sweetness (to match the post). Now gimme a brick of that fudge. -- Mykal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your blog immensely. I'm a big fan of romance comics and have dabbled in the subcategory of recipes appearing in comics, so today's post was special fun for me.
    Here's an entry on comic book cookbooks I wrote a while back. Enjoy!
    Diana
    http://trosper-ignatz-gentlegiant.blogspot.com/2009/11/lets-eat.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanx Jacquie & Justin for taking one for the team, playing Human Guinea Pigs, consuming enough sugar to keep an Army of Children bouncing off the walls until their next Dentist appointment !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jacque: Say! That calculator wristwatch you're wearing must have made it super easy to tally up the calories in that fudge! Seriously, though, great post. What a fun thing to try. I hope Sgt Furry doesn't get too sick!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mykal: Aw, thanks! Mortimer always draws the lovliest kisses. I think that someday there may have to be a kissing contest part two!

    Diana: Cool! I didn't know there were so many other examples of recipes in comic books. I would love to get my hands on that Marvel one. Thanks for stopping by, and thanks for pointing me to your awesome post!

    Lysdexicuss: No problem! We each just had a bit, because it was so sweet and the texture was pretty grainy from all that sugar. On a second tasting, it sort of tasted like a Butterfinger.

    Aaron: Ha! I always wear that thing! I would be terrified to know how many calories were actually in a serving, much less the entire batch. Kinda ironic this sugar-laden recipe was in a romance comic -- books that frequently peddled diet advice! Don't worry, no dogs were harmed in the making of this post. Sgt. Furry only had the tiniest taste and is getting a tooth brushing tonight! :)

    Happy Valentine's everyone!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jacque: I suspect that the makers of the Trimsometric Spa Suit might have had something to do with that recipe.

    What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the short story in verse. Cute ending. Sorry your recipe didn't turn out the winner it was billed to be - I think I'd agree with your analysis that the DC staff didn't actually try it out. A friend of mine made some vegan marshmallow rice krispie cake for my grandson's first birthday yesterday (he's a little Valentine baby) and it was the kind of treat you have to stop yourself from eating more of. She used to write a recipe blog so I'll see if she has the recipe there, and get back to you. the other thing I was getting back to you on was Daring Confessions - only found 1 issue so far and it wasn't the other falling in love with a commie story. My collection is in a mess and I'm sorting it out to sell pretty much everything except my romance, war, and Ditko comics as my wife and I are moving overseas for a while, in 6 months time, so we're trimming down. I haven't got a complete list of the romance comics in the collection so now's the time for me to start!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Spectergirl: Ha! You are probably right!

    KB: Moving overseas?! Where to? I bet going through all your comics and sorting them out is fun! I don't have a seperate list of my romance books, I just keep all my comics listed together alphabetically in an Excel spreadsheet. Someday when I have time I would like to get it more organized, but for now it works!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jacque: We're going back to the UK for a few years. It'll be harder to get American romance comics there but I'll be searching car boot sales for British romance comics - which are actually even harder to find - I keep meaning to scan and post one. I really enjoy reading them and I'm sure that British artist you featured a while back must have drawn some of them. Excel spreadsheet - good idea! Sorting the comics is fun. Selling them on eBay gets to be a bit of a drag because of all the packaging, but it's compensated for by the cash. It really was about time I specialized in my collecting - too many comics and you just don't read them all. Plus I can't really read superhero comics any more, except when I'm using them for an analysis. I found that the more I got into romance comics, the more I went off superheroes, and now I only read romance, war, mystery, westerns, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! That's a big move, KB! I hope the move and the preparations go smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know I'm late to this party, but as a long-time lurker I just had to break my silence to say "Sgt. Furry is the best dog name ever." Thanks for the great blog. I will now resume my regularly scheduled lurking.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aw! Thanks, boosterrific!!! Lurk away!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Comic Blog Elite