Friday, June 3, 2011

The Record and the Restaurant - Easter Eggs for Friday!

For a little Friday fun,
here are a couple Easter Eggs I recently spotted!


In this first one, take a look at the record. It is titled "An Evening with Bernie Sachs." Tricky, tricky, Mr. Sachs!

"End with a Kiss"
Young Love #41 (January/February 1964)
Pencils: Mike Sekowsky, Inks: Bernard Sachs

In this second one, the young woman in the story suggests that they have dinner at a restaurant called "Colletta's." Sounds like a real restaurant, eh? I admit, I am notoriously bad at identifying Colletta's inks, so perhaps this story was inked by him -- accounting for the Easter Egg. Complicating things a bit is the fact that this story was originally presented in Young Romance #138 (October/November 1965) and the hairstyles were updated for this printing.

"Don't Steal My Love"
Falling in Love #131 (April 1972)
Pencils: Win Mortimer

Have a wonderful weekend!!!
Be sure to stop by on Monday -- I have a fun theme week planned!

4 comments:

  1. Was that a common occurrence, reprinting stories with hairstyles changed? Do you have any before/after pictures?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jacque could probably illuminate you more on the DC end, but the 1970s Marvel usually updated reprints to be more in line with current fashions and hairstyles, which meant longer hair and shorter skirts.

    Jacque, judging from this panel I don't think it's Colletta inks; probably just an in joke by the writer.

    Nick Caputo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think it happened as often with the DC books as at Marvel. I am actually putting together a post of DC cover swipes and hough there are quite a few redrawn and updated covers, the stories on the interior don't necessarily correspond. Unfortunately,Young Romance #138 is one of the few books I don't have! I would love to see the original! If anyone out there has that issue, let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The gal in the last panel is a dead ringer for Linda Danvers, aka Supergirl!

    ReplyDelete

Comic Blog Elite