Thursday, December 6, 2012

Call Me Maybe - Telephones in Romance Comics!


If romance comics could talk! 
"Telephone Hour" from the 1963
film Bye Bye Birdie

I am sure like me, many of you are reliant upon text messaging, Facebook, and email to communicate with friends and family. But, I am sure many of you can also remember (as I can) a time not so long ago when the land-based telephone was the number one device used to keep in touch. I feel like I was constantly on the phone as a teen! Though I hardly remember now what all that chatting was about, it clearly served a purpose to me and my friends. And you bettcha -- most of the time our phone conversations revolved around gossip, who was cute, and who was even more cute. Seeing as our beloved romance comics took place when telephones were the most high-tech devices in most people's lives, it is no surprise that they figure pretty prominently in the stories. Below are just a few examples for you of telephones delivering news both good and bad!

"Happily Ever After!"
Pencils: Mike Sekowsky 
Young Love #63 (September/October 1967)
 
"Mismatch"
Pencils and Inks: Ernesto R. Garcia
Sweethearts #98 (June 1968)

 "Letter to a Lost Love!"
Pencils and Inks: John Romita
Girls' Romances #136 (October 1968)

"No More Kid's Kisses"
Teen Confessions #76 (October 1972)


"When I Really Fall in Love!"
Inks: Vince Colletta
Falling in Love #138 (November/December 1972)


"He's Hers, But -- I Want Him!"
Pencils: Gene Colan, Inks: Dick Ayers
Our Love Story # 21 (February 1973)

 "Ask Him What He Thinks of Me!"
Pencils: Creig Flessel
Young Romance #196 (November/December 1973)

"Leaving on a Jet Plane!"
Pencils: Jack Katz, Inks: Frank Giacoia
My Love #30 (September 1974)

Gee, never has an inanimate object caused so much drama!

4 comments:

  1. Brilliant choice of topic - love the social history!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nuch as I hate to admit it, I'm old enough to recall the days when house phones and corner telephone booths were the only form of communicaation. Today, everyone has a cell phone/android/email/two-way wrist radio, but if your phone was out of order you had to leave your house and go to the corner or a store (usually a candy stores or drug stores) to make a phone call. Communication is a bit easier these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is, Nick! But there is still something romantic about rotary phones I think!

      Delete

Comic Blog Elite