Friday, February 22, 2013

Selling Romance - Diversity in Wigs (Part Two)

Click to enlarge!

Similar to an ad I posted during Black History Month 2011, this 1973 ad for "Permanently Styled S-T-R-E-T-C-H Wigs" from Charlton's I Love You #108 (September 1974) is a great reference for period hairstyles of the early 1970s. It primarily features hairstyles for African-American women, ranging from the everyday to the more fanciful ("Love Knot" anyone?). My favorite part of the copy -- "Gives you Exciting Sex appeal." Definitely a fine example of the commodification of romance and womanhood!

6 comments:

  1. Wow! A similar version of this ad was used for the cover of the Rolling Stones 'Some Girls'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has nothing to do with this topic, but I stumbled across your blog, and am hoping you might be able to help me.
    I recently purchased a copy of "Heart Throbs; The Best of DC Romance Comics". I bought it because I was really impressed by one story in the anthology: "One Reckless Moment". I really like the artwork; it is dynamic, angular, graphically impressive, well posed/acted, and the inking has a muscular spontainaity that I really like. It has elements that remind me of Bernie Kreigstein, Milton Caniff, Jack Kirby, and Johnny Craig. It looks like it was done in the late 50's. Nobody I've showed it to can place the artist. Are you aware of this story? Do you know the artist?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bradley, thanks for getting in touch and congrats on the purchase. I unfortunately don't have a copy of it (it's kinda hard to find!), so I can't look at the story, nor do I have a copy of the original comic the story is from -- Girls' Romances #13 (Feb/Mar 1952). But, the Grand Comics Database cites it is having been penciled by Alex Toth (which I am sure is correct in this instance). If you like, you are welcome to send me a scan or pic of a page or two to look at! jacquenodell at yahoo dot com

      Delete
  3. Interesting; I'm a major Toth fan but I didn't place this as being his work. You'll see what I mean when I send scans. By the way, (this may be a dumb question, but) how do I go about sending you scans? Do you have an email address, or a link or what?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feel free to just shoot me an email: jacquenodell at yahoo dot com

      Delete

Comic Blog Elite